Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Why choose us?
We encourage you to look at what review sites say about us. We’ve been keeping
customers happy since 1987 and have a reputation for being fair and honest. We
work hard to be different and provide a truly valuable IT experience.
2. How long do I have to wait before I receive the product after purchasing it online?
On average, if you are buying from Singapore, we will deliver the product within 3 working days by registered post. As for overseas postage, it might take longer.
3. What happen if the product malfunctions?
If the product malfunctions within 7 days from receiving it, you can bring the product down to our main office and we can replace a new set for you. However, if the product malfunctions after the 7th day, depending on the product model, we may either replace a new set, or send it for repair, as long as the warranty still holds.
4. What if the product is not suitable - can i request for refund or exchange?
Refunding or exchanging of the products are only possible within 7 days of receiving it. There will be no charge for exchanging a product to another, however as for refunding, a small administration fee may be charged.
5. What happened to all the TVB series? Why are there so little?
As of 7th August 2011, we regret to inform all AsiaBox customers that TVB series was temporarily suspended. However it was resumed on 10th September 2011. All TVb series before 10th September 2011 was removed due to this issue. Hence, if you have any saved series you were currently watching in Favourites or Recently Played, you may still be able to watch those shows. Any new series from 10th September 2011 onwards are added and updated daily as per normal. Currently, you can use AsiaLive VOD, IMS reader and veryHD.net to watch TVB dramas.
6. Why did my screen went black after updating the firmware?
If you are experiencing this issue while using HDMI connections, please follow the following instructions.
- Turn off and on the power switch to force shutdown AsiaBox.
- Once it turns on, you should be able to see AsiaBox logo starting up.
- When the screen blacks out and back again, wait 20seconds, and press the “Home” once for about 1 second
- Press Functions.
- Press Right arrow.
- Press Enter 4 times.
- Wait for 20 secs and your TV should be able to display the Main Menu.
7. Why does the VOD keep showing no internet connected when I'm using wireless connection even though it says connected?
When using wireless connection, you have to redo the wireless setup every time you turn on AsiaBox as the wireless connection is not automatic. By changing your IP address to manual instead of DHCP with the same IP address may help this issue. Additonally, you can change the DNS to Google DNS instead of Auto / Manual, under Network options in Setup.
8. How do I resolve or reduce the buffering issue? Does changing the DNS settings help?
The recommended broadband speed is 4mbps. Also, at certain times of the day, broadband speed may flucturate and affect the download speed. Only for Singtel users, this may happen more often. You can also try to reboot AsiaBox and refresh the RAM inside the chipset. Also, check your wireless connection quality, at least 60% to 100% for a reliable high speed connection. Changing the DNS settings may help by following these steps.
1. Go to Main Menu and Choose Setup
2. Choose “Network” from the Left Hand Menu and move cursor to “Configure IP” on bottom right side of screen.
3. Move cursor to DNS Address Setup and press “Enter” on Remote to change from “auto” to “manual”.
4. Enter the new DNS by pressing “Enter” at the Primary DNS field.
5. Move the cursor to “Clear” to clear the current DNS.
6. Enter the new DNS using the on-screen keyboard.
7. Save the new DNS settings by pressing “save”.
8. Your new DNS is now set and saved.
9. Congratulations! You have successfully changed your DNS. You may return to the Main Menu by pressing “Home”. We recommend that you restart the AsiaBox to make the new settings effective by switching on and off the power switch.
Here’s a list of Free Public DNS servers round the world you can try to improve your streaming.
- Public Name server IP address
9. There are 3 different pictures of the same show with (篮光) & (高凊), how do I differentiate which is which?
篮光 means Blu-ray, which is the highest video quality, followed by 高凊 which means High Definition. As for the 3rd picture without any brackets, it is a normal quality.
10. How do I check for updates of applications or firmwares?
For applications updates, there will be a number in brackets beside “My Apps” which indicates the number of applications to be updated. As for firmware updates, you can go under setup, and choose firmware updates and check for any available updates. Also, we will be posting any new firmware updates on this website. The latest firmwire is pre-installed in AsiaBox HDII.
11. I am unable to update the firmware and it keeps showing Failed ERR029, how do I solve this?
You can reboot AsiaBox and try again. New movies will be available after the firmware upgrade. This problem may be due to an unstable internet connection. Also, you can try rebooting your Internet router also.
12. What does pressing the Power Button actually do?
By pressing the Power button, AsiaBox will be going into a standby mode. To completely turn off AsiaBox, turn off the power switch instead.
13. Which application do I open to watch movies and dramas?
For movies and dramas, please download the applications AsiaLive VOD, IMS Reader or veryHD.net. As for live TV, please download the application AsiaLive TV.
14. How do I change the subtitles of the movies or dramas?
The subtitles of any movies/dramas cant be changed as they are imprinted onto those videos by default. Certain movies/dramas have English subtitles while other have Chinese subtitles. In order to choose different subtitles, you can download the application GouGou, where you can download the movies/dramas and get to choose the subtitles that you prefer.
15. Why can't my 3D glasses I got from Samsung work with the 3D movies shown in AsiaBox?
The 3D movies shown in AsiaBox are Red/Cyan in colour, hence only by using Red/Cyan 3D glasses, you can view these movies. As for the latest 3D glasses, there are made of polarized lens which cannot be used for AsiaBox.
16. What is the difference between AsiaBox and Popbox?
They are the same product with the same Sigma chipset. However, there are two versions of Popbox. One version is U.S-based firmware where there are no “Asia” applications, while the other version is Asia-based which is actually AsiaBox.
17. How do I use GouGou and download movies and dramas?
- With AsiaBox, you can download movies directly from the Internet using the Gougou and Xunlei App instead of using your PC. To use this App, you will need to install an internal 2.5″ hard disk into the AsiaBox unit.
- For further instructions on installing the internal hard disk, please refer to the Installation Guide provided with your AsiaBox.
- Due to height limitations, the largest capacity that can be installed is 750GB.
- After installing the internal hard disk, begin by formatting it using the function provided under “Maintenance”.
- Install the Gougou App from the Apps Market. If you are not familiar with Chinese characters, you can use the following guide to using the App.
- Choose your movie or TV series from the provided list or use Search to find it.
- Select the movie file download type you wish to download.
Download Control Page
- Your chosen download file will be displayed. You can choose to Start, Pause or Delete the download.
SyaBas have removed the application GouGou from the Apps market with effect from Feb 2012.
18. How do I delete films that I no longer wish to keep in the internal hard disk? The films were downloaded from gougou.
You can copy out content, move or delete files from AsiaBox internal hard disk. Press “Functions” on the Remote, “File Mode”, select “Add file to list” for each file you wish to copy, move or delete the selected files by pressing “Functions” again, “File Mode” and then “Copy listed items here”, move or delete to place the files into the hard disk. The function is meant for simple file operations. For complex operations, you can remove the hard disk from the AsiaBox, put it into a USB hard disk casing and connect to your PC.
19. Why my AsiaBox keeps showing Not connected to internet ?
There may be a new firmware available for download, under Setup, follow by Maintenace, and Check for latest firmware. Once you successfully downloaded and installed the firmware, this message should disappear, and you will be able to watch AsiaLive VOD as per normal. You can also proceed with Setup Wizard again to configure your network.